Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Plum Tree Massacre

Plum Tree Massacre Memorial, Williamsport

At the corners of West Fourth and Cemetery Streets in Williamsport stands a monument memorializing one of the most bloody incidents to occur in the West Branch Valley of the Susquehanna. On June 10, 1778, a group of Indians (almost twenty in number) ambushed and massacred a group of settlers arriving in the area.

I first heard about the monument from a friend who lives in the area. While I had often thought about visiting the memorial, it was usually forgotten while I was in town. It would be almost three years after learning about the Plum Tree Massacre Monument that I would finally seek out and visit the marker.



Close-up of the Monument


Graves of William King and Arad Sutton, Williamsport


This entry is now a part of "Histories and Mysteries of Pennsylvania: Volume One and is available through Amazon.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your post. My ancestor was William King on my father's side. I never knew Capt Simon Cool was his cousin. I agree with you about the site of the burial. It is a shame so many of our ancestors of this country might be lying beneath an asphalt parking lot.

    ReplyDelete