Thursday, June 23, 2016

Along the Way: Dreese's Covered Bridge

Dreese's Covered Bridge, Beavertown
I was instantly greeted by the bawling of a hound as I stepped out of the truck. I paused as I watched the old dog make his way towards me, hoping deep inside he was friendly. Thankfully he was. He sat on the ground at my feet and I reached down to rub his head. A couple seconds later a man’s voice called out from the nearby farm and the dog trotted back towards the house. He made it to the other side of the road before he laid down in the grass to watch my every move.

With the approval of the bridge’s guardian I turned my attention to the covered bridge I was parked in front of. Dreese’s Covered Bridge, which is also known as Dreese Covered Bridge, but is more commonly referred to as the Beavertown Covered Bridge, spans Middle Creek northeast of the town of the same name. A little over one hundred feet in length, the bridge is a Burr Truss with multiple king post and the builder is unknown.

A side note: I was asked about the identification and how to identify the designs, but to be honest, I’m not one hundred percent on my covered bridge identification yet – a good source is the book “Pennsylvania’s Covered Bridges: A Guide” which identifies the bridges and what type they are. The guide, though it calls itself complete, does not include modern covered bridges

The bridge was originally built in 1870 and was bypassed in 1979 due to its condition. In 2001 the county repaired the bridge and though it is not open to vehicle traffic, it is open to pedestrian traffic.

After photographing the covered bridge from the pull-off area, I made my way up to Covered Bridge Road and walked out onto the modern bridge. Setting up on this bridge provides a beautioful view of the bridge as it spans the waters of Middle Creek..

Dreese's Covered Bridge spanning Middle Creek
When visiting Dreese’s Covered Bridge, please keep in mind:

1) The bridge, which is located at the junction of Covered Bridge Road and Beaver Ridge Road, is owned by the county, though it appears to be a part of the nearby farm.

2) There is parking right in front of the bridge. The old road still exists and you can park on it while visiting.

3) I had a couple of vehicles pass as I was shooting from the more modern bridge that parallels Dreese’s Covered Bridge. Most slowed down, but please use caution when taking pictures from the bridge.

4) The nearby farm (just across Beaver Ridge Road) does have a dog that runs freely. I had no problems with the dog, he seemed friendly enough, but just be aware you may have a visitor.

Dreese's Covered Bridge is located on Covered Bridge Road, which is roughly two and a half miles east of Beavertown.

No comments:

Post a Comment