Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Along the Way: Dry Run Falls

Dry Run Falls after a dry spell
Taken during my first visit
The first day I visited Dry Run Falls, it lived up to its name. Though water was flowing over the edge of the falls, the lack of recent rain had the falls looking less than impressive.

My journey of the day was to photograph vistas in the Loyalsock State Forest and I had just left High Knob, heading for home when I discovered Dry Run Falls for the first time. Though knew there was a waterfall along Dry Run Road, I didn’t realize that the waterfall was right beside the road. It was definitely an added bonus for the day's journey.

I pulled into the small parking area next to the falls and took in my surroundings. A picnic table near the falls makes for a perfect location for an outing and I regretting having ate my lunch earlier on the tailgate of truck while at High Knob.

I walked along the bank trying to find a place to get down to the stream bed, preferring to photograph the falls for its base..While I found a couple places where people had slid down over the bank, but being by myself, I wasn’t willing to take an unnecessary risk of getting down and back up the steep bank at the time. When Zech and I visited the falls, the bank was still icy, keeping me from descending it again. Maybe the next trip I'll finally make it to the base of the falls.

Dry Run Falls with the melting snows
While photographing the waterfall would have been nicer from the base, I found a place that I could take pictures of Dry Run Falls that would still bring out the beauty of the falls.

Dry Run Falls is a cascade type of falls that tumbles roughly fifteen to twenty feet. Cascades are waterfalls are sometimes called tiered waterfall. These waterfalls have a number of steps, or individual tiers, that the falling water bounces off of as it descends. Dry Run Falls is also a segmented falls, which is a waterfall that is broken into two or more separate falls by rocks at the top.

Looking at older pictures that others have taken, it appears that Dry Run Falls at one time had two very distinct falls, but on the two visits I’ve made it appears it is becoming a single drop. The left side drop (as facing the falls) appears to disappear during drier seasons. When Zech and I returned a couple months later the left side fall had reappeared with the melting snow.


A side view of Dry Run Falls
A couple of things when photographing Dry Run Falls to keep in mind.

1. Dry Run Falls can be photographed from the road. A short, easy walk will get you to them.

2. When trying to photograph them from the bank, the lighting can be a little tricky. You’re standing in the open trying to photograph falls that are completely in the shade.

3. The embankment to climb up and down to get to the stream bed is a little on the steep side. Use caution.

4. The last time Zech and I stopped, a tree had fallen near the base of the falls. It can be avoided in pictures from the bank, but I’m not sure how it would affect photographs taken from the base of the falls.

Dry Run Falls
Note the fallen tree in foreground

Dry Run Falls is located along Dry Run Road which is just south of Hillsgrove. Follow the road for close to two miles and you'll see the waterfall on your right.

No comments:

Post a Comment