Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Along the Way: Windsor Mills Covered Bridge

Windsor Mills Covered Bridge
Windsor Mills, Ohio
The sun was starting its ascent as I drove west on Route 322. My destination for the day was taking me across the border into Ashtabula County in Ohio. The plan was to photograph as many of the county’s covered bridges as I could and to arrive early at the first one on my list — the one that would prove to be one of the most beautiful ones I’d ever seen.

I arrived at the collection of buildings known as Windsor Mills. Turning onto Warner Hollow Road, I could see the bridge immediately in front of me. Warner Hollow Road turns to the left immediately before the bridge which is on Covered Bridge Lane. Passing through it I found a spot to turn around and stopped in the road way to take pictures of the bridge, staying to one side so any vehicles could pass. Please see the note below about parking.

Getting out of the vehicle I took in the beautiful bridge that is also known as the Warner Hollow Covered Bridge as well as the Wiswell Road Covered Bridge. The bridge spans one hundred and twenty feet and rests upon the support of two piers over a rocky ravine created by Phelps Creek far below.

The bridge, originally built in 1867, has three spans and a Town Truss design. The bridge ties the Mechanicsville Covered Bridge as the oldest standing covered bridge in Ashtabula County. Wiswell Road was rerouted to the west in the late 1960s/early 1970s due to the bridge’s integrity. At this time, the bridge was open to pedestrian traffic only. The Windsor Mills Covered Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in April 1973. In the 1980s the bridge was closed to all traffic until its restoration in 2002 and reopening in 2004..

Windsor Mills Covered Bridge was one of three covered bridges that once stood in the area of Windsor Mills and is the only of them still standing.

After taking a number of pictures, I headed out, leaving the beautiful bridge standing guard over the silence of Warner Hollow. If you choose to visit please be respectful of the area.

Postcard of Windsor Mills Covered Bridge
Part of the author's personal collection
Please note: While I did not see any “No Trespassing” signs, I’ve read in a number of places that the land around the bridge is on private property and the land owners do not want people walking down to the creek, nor do they want people to park at the small pull-off even to just photograph the bridge. I figured dealing with an angry motorist would be easier than an angry land owner. While I was there (which was roughly fifteen minutes) I did not have any vehicles (or buggies) pass through the bridge or pass by on Warner Hollow Road.

Please be respectful of the area and do not trespass on the private lands surrounding the bridge..

No comments:

Post a Comment